Re: [O] org version numbers in file - WAS: Tangling takes long - profili

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] org version numbers in file - WAS: Tangling takes long - profiling and calling R
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2015 10:13:08 +0200

Rainer M Krug <address@hidden> writes:

> Yes - that's true. But who of the longer org users reads the manual of
> features they use regularly?

Ah well. I turned 3 `mapcar' calls into a single one. It should,
hopefully improve speed in your case (could you confirm it).

Also, I suggest to signal the deprecation in ORG-NEWS (old timers read
it, right?) and remove this part of code during 8.4 development.

WDYT?

> org-lint seems to become the place where these changes can be marked and
> the user be notified - that is really brilliant.

Org Lint is not in master branch, yet.

> I could imagine the following automatic workflow to enable automatic
> linting of org files upon opening when they were saved under an older
> (or unknown) version of org:
>
> 1) a new argument is introduced :
>
>   #+FILE_ORG_VERSION: 8.3beta
>
> 2) when opening an org file, this version is checked. The following
> cases are possible:
>
>   - parameter not present: assume that file version is older and run org-lint
>   - file version older then org version: run org-lint
>   - file version identical to org version: just open
>   - file version newer: run org-lint
>
> 3) after reviewing the results, org-lint could offer to update the file
> version (#+FILE_ORG_VERSION) to the version of org-mode. This should be, by
> the way, possible to do even when running org-lint manually.
>
> 4) this behavior should be possible to disabled by an additional header
>   #+ORG_FILE_VERSION_CHECK: f
>   but not via  emacs.el as this should be the standard behavior.

The problem is that linting is not exact science. You shouldn't put too
much trust into it.

Also, "version" too broad: despite its name, some syntax changes were
introduced in the middle of "8.3beta".

Therefore, I'm not sure it's worth the hassle.

Regards,