Re: [O] Unclear org-icompleting-read interface

From: Rasmus
Subject: Re: [O] Unclear org-icompleting-read interface
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 16:36:11 +0200

Hi,

> Oleh Krehel <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> The current `org-icompleting-read' is defined as taking only `&rest
>> args', which can be as many as 8, all of them without a name.
>>
>> I propose to update the definition to:
>>
>>     (cl-defun org-icompleting-read (prompt collection
>>                                     &key predicate require-match
>>                                       initial-input hist def
>> inherit-input-method)
>>       ;; ...
>>       )
>
> I'd rather not use cl-defun in code base, which is slightly more
> difficult to understand, and hardly unavoidable. Moreover,
> `org-icompleting-read' is not harder to read as `completing-read'
> anyway.

I agree.  It's confusing how the docstring and the λ is written, but it's
just a "front-end" for completing-read.  A reference to completing-read
should be added to the docstring.

>> This change would make the calls to `org-icompleting-read' much easier
>> to read.
>
> While we're at it, I suggest instead to make `org-icompleting-read' an
> obsolete alias for `completing-read' in Org 8.4.
> `partial-completing-mode' is obsolete since Emacs 24.1.

That was my "feeling" about org-icompleting-read as well last time I
looked at it (also a message by Oleh).  For org 8.4 we can also get rid of
all the iswitchb stuff.  Good times ahead...

Rasmus

--
This is the kind of tedious nonsense up with which I will not put