Re: [O] Time-zone in dates

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] Time-zone in dates
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2015 21:17:55 -0400

Eric S Fraga <address@hidden> writes:

> On Friday, 26 Jun 2015 at 21:57, address@hidden wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> It is really simpler programmatically to deal with time offsets
>> instead. The downside is that you cannot manage DST and other similar
>> peculiarities but the API is much simpler to write.
>
> Time offsets are not sufficient.  My Australia experience involved me
> living in South Australia while working with colleagues in the UK.  The
> time difference throughout the year was one of 8.5 hours, 9.5 hours or
> 10.5 hours, depending on the various switches to and from daylight
> savings.  Very annoying and confusing to manage...
>
> To be effective and usable, org will need to incorporate time zone
> information.

The only reliable way of doing that is to use UTC as the "internal"
representation and translate to/from local time on external
display/input *only*.  In the case of org mode, the "internal"
representation is user-visible, so that can cause confusion and some
head-scratching. But *any* other method is going to be a nightmare
(damhikt).

--
Nick