[O] meta commands and Info manual

From: Alan Wehmann
Subject: [O] meta commands and Info manual
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2015 09:45:54 -0500

I am a new user of Org.  I'm an experienced user of Emacs.  My first use of Org was to create a table.  I soon found myself wanting to insert a column.  I looked at Info node "(org) Built-in table editor" [This manual is for Org version 8.2.9.] and it said:

‘M-S-<right>     (org-table-insert-column)’
     Insert a new column to the left of the cursor position.

I now know that this was somewhat mis-leading, since that key combination is bound to "org-shiftmetaright", but at the time I was rather confused (see topic "Org keymap question" in "news group" gnu.emacs.help).  I'd recommend a revision to the Info manual, to describe more prominently command "org-shiftmetaright" and other "meta" commands like it (apologies in advance if there is a later version of the Info manual that addresses this).

Info node "(org) Conventions" does mention the use of the meta commands somewhat, but I certainly didn't see it right away.

I am using:

GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin13.4.0, NS apple-appkit-1265.21) of 2015-04-10 on builder10-9.porkrind.org