Re: [O] email ui choices?

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: [O] email ui choices?
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2015 18:51:42 +0800

Juergen Christoffel <address@hidden> writes:

> On Mon, Jul 13, 2015 at 08:16:29PM -0400, Matt Price wrote:
>> [...]
>>I want to fill out this form, key in a command, and have emacs prompt me
>>for an email (or look the email up somewhere?) and generate a mail buffer
>>with this subtree as its contents; optionally attach a .doc or .pdf
>>attachement; and send the htmlized buffer for me, saving the sent mail
>>either to my IMAP Sent folder or my local mbox Sent folder.
>
> Matt,
>
> you could either use Emacs' RMAIL-Mode to do this. Or you could try mutt
> (which is the perfect companion to things like org-mode, IMO) als your
> mailer.
>
>>It would be nice if it had access to my contacts, either via GMail or
>>through thunderbbird (those are synced, I think).
>
> I don't know about RMAIL and IMAP/Gmail (as I switched from RMAIL to mutt
> years ago) but you should find hwotos for setting up mutt in conjuntion
> with Gmail with Google.

I wonder if it's even necessary to have *any* sort of MUA set up in
Emacs, if all you're doing is sending email? Many email programs paper
over the distinction between sending and receiving/reading email, but I
think the Emacs-based tools preserve that distinction pretty well.

Message-mode is built in, and I use it in conjunction with the msmtp
program, like so:

(setq message-send-mail-function 'message-send-mail-with-sendmail)
(setq sendmail-program "msmtp")

Check the docstring for the *variable* `message-send-mail-function', and
that should get you started. If you're only using a single account for
sending, that should be significantly simpler. Look at
`user-mail-address' and all that.

Then just call `compose-mail'!

To answer the original question, the org-mime library in Org's
contrib/lisp directory is probably what you want for htmlizing buffers
and sending them as email.

Hope that helps,
Eric