Re: [O] Why navigating in Org mode is so slow in overview mode?

From: Gregor Zattler
Subject: Re: [O] Why navigating in Org mode is so slow in overview mode?
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2015 10:39:06 +0200

Hi Nicolas,
* Nicolas Goaziou <address@hidden> [23. Jun. 2015]:
> Gregor Zattler <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> These reports are attachet.
>
> Thank you. However, I don't see anything incriminating Org in these
> reports.

Now I think I found something specific.  I do open the org-mode
file in question with #+STARTUP: showeverything because otherwise
it’s slow.  Today I discovered org-goto.  This presents the
buffer in overview mode.  So I started the profiler, started
org-goto and typed 11 letters in order to jump to a heading.
This takes quite some time while my notebooks fan is making noise
and Emacs uses 100% cpu according to htop.

I did this two times with the same org-mode file:

- with Org-mode version 8.3beta (release_8.3beta-1291-gd6e601 @
  /home/grfz/src/org-mode/lisp/) on GNU Emacs 25.0.50.4
  (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.14.5) of 2015-07-17 on boo

- with Org-mode version 8.2.10 (release_8.2.10 @
  /usr/local/stow/emacs-snapshot/share/Emacs/25.0.50/lisp/org/)
  on the same version of Emacs.

I do not know how to read these reports, but to me it seems, that
most of the cpu cycles are used by org-context, org-end-of-item,
org-list-struct and org-list-context.  The memory reports do not
seem to be of interest but I attach them for the sake of
completeness.

HTH, Gregor
--