Re: [O] Org-mode exporters licensing

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Re: [O] Org-mode exporters licensing
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2015 20:20:20 +0200

On 2015-07-27, at 20:02, Daniele Nicolodi <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 27/07/15 19:42, Marcin Borkowski wrote:
>> That I've already learned.  OTOH, one of the reasons to use PD might be
>> that I explicitly state that I object the legal system I live in.  (Mind
>> you: I'm not an anarchist, and I'm very far from that.  But this system
>> is almost unbearable.)
>
> This statement confirms that you do not really understand what you are
> talking about: as you cannot renounce your copy rights, you cannot place
> something in the public domain. If you do not release your work with an
> explicit license, the default copyright protection law applies and this
> means (in all jurisdictions I know about) that you reserve all rights to
> yourself: none can use your code, and probably not even look at it.

I do understand (at least I think so).  And I do understand that my
declaration of putting something in PD would be technically void.
I just don't care about it, if the declaration of intent is clear.

>>> Other than this I would recommend you to refrain from harsh comments on
>>> a matter on which you hold strong ideas but weak knowledge (as most of
>>> this thread demonstrates). Especially if your positions seem detrimental
>>> of the Copyleft model, and you are asking for help in a mailing-list
>>> devoted to a very successful Copyleft program.
>>
>> Well, as I mentioned earlier, my knowledge is less and less weak, also
>> thanks to your explanations.  OTOH, the more I know about these issues,
>> the more I dislike the status quo, and the more harsh my opinions about
>> GPL in particular are.  (It is not a secret that I am very critical of
>> the GPL and of the FSF.  Still, as I said before, I'm very hesitant
>> about explicitly breaking their rules.)
>
> You are free to think whatever you want. However, using software
> released under the GPL (and profiting of the freedom that the GPL
> guarantees you) is not very coherent with your position.

I don't think that the terms of GPL depend on what I think about them,
right?  Also, I think that I'm only in the position of taking something
from the community; I try to give as well.

> Cheers,
> Daniele

Best,

--