Re: [O] [OFF TOPIC] almost giving up on emacs email..looking for advice?

From: Suvayu Ali
Subject: Re: [O] [OFF TOPIC] almost giving up on emacs email..looking for advice?
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2015 22:45:12 +0200

On Thu, Aug 06, 2015 at 08:21:15PM +0300, Xebar Saram wrote:
> thank so much everyone for your great tips and comments
>
> you gave me more energy to further pursue  gnus and or mu4e

There is also notmuch.  In fact, notmuch seems to have an edge over mu4e
when it comes to performance, at least that's my understanding.

I would like to say something though.  I think you should not blindly
keep on trying all these options, that would probably end up in
frustration all over again.  First you need to answer, how you use
email, how do you want to access it, and what kind of features do you
want.  You shouldn't limit yourself to Emacs either.  Eventhough Emacs
can do many things, often there are other tools which are better suited.

- Email could be a means for discussions, in that case it's a reference
  - Then you might want searchability, or someway to refer back to
    messages.
- It could be a todo list for you, in that case you want some way to
  filter and carry over your emails to your todo lists.
  - Do you want filtering for other purposes?
- You might want access to your emails over IMAP (it's immediate), or
  available locally (always there, not immediate).
- Local disk space constraints.
- Do you want access to your emails from multiple interfaces?
- Do you prefer using the terminal or a GUI?

As you see, there are lots of points to think about.

Hope this helps,

--
Suvayu