Re: [O] Showing Property in headline; generating table from properties;

From: Richard Lawrence
Subject: Re: [O] Showing Property in headline; generating table from properties; exporting table to CSV
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 2015 18:43:49 -0700

Hi Matt and all,

Matt Price <address@hidden> writes:

> On Thu, Aug 6, 2015 at 9:13 AM, John Kitchin <address@hidden>
> wrote:
>
>> How do you enter your grade? I use a function, bound to a convenient key
>> like s-s g, which sets the grade property. You could have that function
>> change the heading TODO state to DONE so you know it is done, and maybe
>> add a tag with the grade, or just append the grade on the end of the
>> headline.

> Adding the grade as a tag doesn't seem quite right, as I often change
> grades after a rewrite.  I'd need to get rid of the original tag.

Here's another idea for getting the grade into the headline: set the
grade as a priority, like

** [#A] John Doe

Pros: it's a simple hack that doesn't require you to do any additional
parsing; it's easy to change up or down either interactively or
programmatically (cf. org-priority* functions); and it's easy to sort
headlines by priority in a custom agenda view, to give you a quick
overall picture of your grade distribution.

Cons: this would only work for A/B/C/D/F grades, and even then, it
doesn't represent +/- variants.  So it's not very flexible or granular,
but it might be enough.

Best,
Richard

P.S. Like others, I too have written my own grading system:

https://github.com/wyleyr/schoolutils

It stores grades and student data in a SQLite database, and allows you
to write end-of-term grade calculations in Python, instead of messing
with spreadsheets. (Overkill? Maybe so... :)

It currently only has a command line interface, but I have been thinking
about adding an Org interface that would do basic CRUD operations on
grades via Babel.  If anyone is interested in such a thing, let me
know...