Re: [O] [OFF TOPIC] almost giving up on emacs email..looking for advice?

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: [O] [OFF TOPIC] almost giving up on emacs email..looking for advice?
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2015 17:09:20 +0800

Rasmus <address@hidden> writes:

> Eric Abrahamsen <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Peter Salazar <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> Like Fabrice, I also still process my email using the Gmail web
>>> interface. The only reason I want email within Emacs is so I can
>>> compose replies in a proper editor with all my keybindings. I tried
>>> Chrome's Edit with Emacs, but it loses line breaks when it sends the
>>> output from Emacs back to Gmail. So I prefer to write replies within
>>> Emacs.
>>>
>>> Since I only need a small fraction of my emails to go through Emacs, I
>>> set up mbsync to pull only my starred messages:
>>>
>>> Channel gmail-starred
>>> Master :gmail-remote:"[Gmail]/Starred"
>>> Slave :gmail-local:starred
>>> Create Both
>>> Expunge Both
>>> SyncState *
>>>
>>> If this is of interest to you I can share my setup.
>>
>> I agree that having email accessible locally is key to making Gnus
>> usable. All my email is synced to local dovecot server, and Gnus
>> accesses that -- no lag at all. Sending messages is still a big pain,
>> though. I send using msmtp, and there's an add-on called msmtp-queue
>> that would apparently allow Gnus to hand off messages instantly, but
>> I've never spent the time to get it set up. I sure wish IMAP could
>> handle both sending and receiving messages!
>
> Sending messages in Gnus is trival these days.  It works out of the box
> when you add a X-Message-SMTP-Method header (and GCC for saving a copy to
> Sent).  I use smtp server from GMX, my own mail server and Outlook (I've
> used google mail in the past).

It's not trivial when you live in China :)

I can make it work, between alternate IP addresses and ssh tunnels, but
it involves a lot of cursing and grinding my teeth. In a hostile network
environment any client will face the same problems, but the lack of
threading becomes pretty apparent here.

Someday I will set up my own mail server, when I'm in bed with a broken
leg, maybe. I have so many "broken-leg" projects waiting, I hate to
think of what sort of accident I'd have to be in to get them all
completed.