Re: [O] [OFF TOPIC] almost giving up on emacs email..looking for advice?

From: Matt Lundin
Subject: Re: [O] [OFF TOPIC] almost giving up on emacs email..looking for advice?
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2015 07:35:59 -0500

Hi Bastien,

Bastien Guerry <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Matt,
>
> Matt Lundin <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I've configured gnus to sort subscribed groups
>> automatically by the number of times accessed, with the least read
>> groups falling to the bottom.
>
> This is interesting: could you share this bit of configuration?

Certainly! These are the settings I have:

(setq gnus-group-sort-function 'gnus-group-sort-by-rank)
(add-hook 'gnus-summary-exit-hook 'gnus-summary-bubble-group)
(add-hook 'gnus-suspend-gnus-hook 'gnus-group-sort-groups-by-rank)
(add-hook 'gnus-exit-gnus-hook 'gnus-group-sort-groups-by-rank)

This causes gnus to bump up ("bubble") the score of a group each time
you read it. Then, whenever you exit or suspend gnus, all the groups
will be sorted according to their a) level and b) score (i.e., the
number of times read). All memory of a group's score will be wiped out
if you unsubscribe or kill the group.

Initially, I tried to add gnus-group-sort-by-rank to
gnus-summary-exit-hook, but I seem to remember that it interfered too
much with navigating the summary buffer.

Here's the relevant section of the manual:

https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/gnus/Group-Score.html#Group-Score

There may be something else in my config file that makes this work, so
feel free to let me know if the settings above don't produce the results
you expect.

Matt