Re: [O] [DEV] Bump Emacs requirement to 24.4?

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: [O] [DEV] Bump Emacs requirement to 24.4?
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2015 08:08:15 +0200

Bastien writes:
> So my suggestion still stands:
>
> - let's keep master in the current compatibility state since the
>   question you asked still needs to be answer (it's just 10 days
>   since it was asked).
>
> - let's use a dedicated branch for commits requiring Emacs 24.3+.

I'm with Nicolas on this point: if we end up de-supporting Emacs 23,
then the master branch is where that should happen.  Since it already
has happened and the general consensus seems to be that we should go
there eventually, just maybe not right now, I don't see why we suddenly
also need to re-define what master is about.

> Maybe we will end up distributing Org 8.3+ for Emacs 23.1 and
> Org 9+ for Emacs 24.3+ -- I don't know.

What the next release from master will be called is not yet decided.
But we can and should decide that maint does not de-support Emacs 23
until <whatever version> and only after proper announcement.  That might
ultimately end up needing a separate maint23 branch for cherry-picking
some bug-fixes after the development has swicthed to Emacs24.3+ on
maint, although I don't see where the developer resources would come
from to keep three branches in flight, especially when apparently some
developers don't have Emacs23 at their disposal (actually that is what I
have the RaspberryPi for, believe it or not).

> Let's take 10-15 days to build a strategy together, with feedbacks
> from various sources and information we share.  We need this time
> to consider the question seriously.  Please revert the changes in
> master that assume Org needs Emacs 24.3+.

There's no need to rush that decision either.  I am one of those who
still need to run on Emacs23 and I will just switch from master to maint
for that.  I don't see any pressing bugs or missing features there
either, so if I'd need to freeze Emacs23 to some specific point in the
history that would quite likely also work.  From what happened with
Emacs 22, I expect at least another two years before I can generally
assume availability of Emacs 24.3+ on all systems.

Regards,
Achim.

DIY Stuff:
http://Synth.Stromeko.net/DIY.html