Re: [O] Add version header to org.el

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: [O] Add version header to org.el
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2015 19:52:36 +0200

Rasmus writes:
>>> Is there any issues with adding a version header to org.el in maint and
>>> master?
>>
>> I don't think so. It may require to update README_maintainer
>> accordingly.
>
> Done.

Please revert that change.  It's messing with the version numbers on
ELPA since (as I suspected) the idea of using the version from the
header comments in the (main) package file is half-baked.

Since it doesn't appear that there'll be a proper build environment for
ELPA packages anytime soon, the only way out is to generate org.el.  We
could do it just for ELPA, although I suggest we go ahead and do it
across the board.  We can get rid of org-version on the way and put all
the headers someone wants there as well.  From the new, generated org.el
we can then require whatever the contents of org.el moves to.

Regards,
Achim.