Re: [O] element-debug-mode breaks capture

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] element-debug-mode breaks capture
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2015 11:39:42 +0200

Hello,

Bastien <address@hidden> writes:

> I also had a lot of these recently.

I posted some tricks on the ML to help debug the problem. Also, a single
cache corruption can lead to many error reports (basically whenever
a command relying on `org-element-at-point' is used).

> I'm now turning org-element-use-cache off and I don't see real issue
> when not using it.
>
> Nicolas, what's the real benefit of using the cache?  Is it with
> large files?  With frequent updates of the structure?  What actions
> are the most impacted by not using the cache?

It makes `org-element-context'/`org-element-at-point' very fast in
almost every situation. This is of course the most noticeable when
editing large sections.

However, once remaining glitches in the cache are fixed, I expect to
make fontification use it. So, turning cache off in the long run doesn't
help moving forward, though it may be convenient in some unfortunate
situations.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou