Re: [O] org-block-background in 8.3.1?

From: Sebastien Vauban
Subject: Re: [O] org-block-background in 8.3.1?
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2015 12:13:09 +0200

Hi Bastien,

Bastien writes:
> Sebastien Vauban writes:
>
>> Really, it has been removed because of a problem when ps-print'ing an
>> Org buffer -- though the bug was to find in `ps-def.el' and not in
>> Org, as reported by Stefan Monnier [1].  It should have been fixed
>> there instead.
>
> Yes, indeed.
>
>>> I'm not aware of anything that has been introduced in its place.
>>
>> I'm planning to reintroduce it as an optional feature.  At least in
>> my personal Git repository, if that's not accepted in Org core.
>
> If you can find an implementation that does not rely on overlays, I'm
> fine with it - overlays have inherent scalability issues, and I'm
> reluctant using them for something as pervasive as code blocks
> background.

I don't know how to add the background color without overlays.

That's why the very first step would (have) be(en) to put it as an
optional feature, that could been disabled by those who feel that it
introduces a performance delay -- what hasn't been shown so far IIRC.

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban