Re: [O] Valid use cases for lists?

From: Kyle Meyer
Subject: Re: [O] Valid use cases for lists?
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2015 16:00:56 -0400

Chris Patti <address@hidden> writes:

> Can anyone give me an example of when it's a good idea to use lists
> rather than headlines?

I think there are quite a few, but here's one example.  I keep a heading
with a list of links to potentially interesting articles that I don't
have time to process at the moment when I encounter them.  I capture new
links (with no description) as items under this heading.  I don't want
to use a separate heading for each link because I don't want to think
about a name to give the heading.  I just want a list of links where I
can check off items when I get around to visiting them.

> They feel rather like a violation of the principle of least surprise
> to me, because when you use them, and then try to use pretty much any
> other Org feature on them (marking them as a TODO item, tagging, etc.)
> it doesn't work because lists aren't meant to be used that way.

That is pretty much how I decide.  If I think I need heading-specific
features, I use headings.

--
Kyle