[O] Local variables in an org file

From: Jarmo Hurri
Subject: [O] Local variables in an org file
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2015 09:39:32 +0300

Greetings.

Is there a way to define a (preferably local) variable in an org file so
that the value of that variable could be referenced in both plain text
and code blocks?

I often bump into situations where I have a value, say 768, and I use
that value both in code blocks and in the accompanying text. Now basic
programming approach tells me that if and when I need to change that
value, I should be able to do that by changing the value in only one
location. That implies defining a variable for the value.

Properties sound like they might be the solution. But I don't know how
to refer to properties in text and code.

Jarmo