Re: [O] students, classes, assignments...

From: scrawler
Subject: Re: [O] students, classes, assignments...
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2015 18:34:01 -0500

On Tue, Sep 01, 2015 at 06:13:00AM -0400, John Kitchin wrote:
> It depends a lot on what you want to be able to do. Do you need reports
> of what is completed? aggregated grades, etc...
>
> Here is what I do: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRUCiF2MwP4
>
> Here is a talk I gave last year on using it.
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsSMs-4GlT8&list=FLQp2VLAOlvq142YN3JO3y8w

Thanks for the links. Reports would be great, aggregated grades not so
much (at least not for the moment). A couple questions: are the buffer
settings (#+ASSIGNMENT, #+POINTS, #+DUEDATE, #+RUBRIC) of your own
creation? This is just the kind of thing I'm looking for, but on a
much less ambitious scale. This student took this test and earned this
score on this day. But is this student in this subject or that
subject? Which period? I was thinking about making a file per student,
puting the particulars in a properties drawer, and linking to an
assignments file. Pretty standard stuff, I think, but I'm working out
how to make it all happen.

* Fred Flinstone
:PROPERTIES:
:Class: Into to Cave Painting
:Period: 2
:Whatever: Blah blah blah
:END:

** Homework [ / ]
*** TODO [[path to assignment or description][This]]
*** TODO [[path to assignment or description][That]]

** Classwork

** Assessment

** Concerns

I'm sorry I'm not being more clear--I'm feeling like an idiot at the
moment. I think I'll start with a file for each student like Fred's
and go from there.