Re: [O] students, classes, assignments...

From: John Kitchin
Subject: Re: [O] students, classes, assignments...
Date: Tue, 01 Sep 2015 20:48:51 -0400

address@hidden writes:

> On Tue, Sep 01, 2015 at 06:13:00AM -0400, John Kitchin wrote:
>> It depends a lot on what you want to be able to do. Do you need reports
>> of what is completed? aggregated grades, etc...
>>
>> Here is what I do: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRUCiF2MwP4
>>
>> Here is a talk I gave last year on using it.
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsSMs-4GlT8&list=FLQp2VLAOlvq142YN3JO3y8w
>
> Thanks for the links. Reports would be great, aggregated grades not so
> much (at least not for the moment). A couple questions: are the buffer
> settings (#+ASSIGNMENT, #+POINTS, #+DUEDATE, #+RUBRIC) of your own

These are filetags I created for the application. They make it easy to
pull data from the files. the function to get a filetag is here:
https://github.com/jkitchin/jmax/blob/master/techela/techela-grade.el#L204
and to set a filetag is right above it.

> creation? This is just the kind of thing I'm looking for, but on a
> much less ambitious scale. This student took this test and earned this
> score on this day. But is this student in this subject or that
> subject? Which period? I was thinking about making a file per student,
> puting the particulars in a properties drawer, and linking to an
> assignments file. Pretty standard stuff, I think, but I'm working out
> how to make it all happen.
>
> * Fred Flinstone
> :PROPERTIES:
> :Class: Into to Cave Painting
> :Period: 2
> :Whatever: Blah blah blah
> :END:
>
> ** Homework [ / ]
> *** TODO [[path to assignment or description][This]]
> *** TODO [[path to assignment or description][That]]
>
> ** Classwork
>
> ** Assessment
>
> ** Concerns
>
> I'm sorry I'm not being more clear--I'm feeling like an idiot at the
> moment. I think I'll start with a file for each student like Fred's
> and go from there.
It is the only way to learn ;)
--
Professor John Kitchin