Re: [O] Show presence of zero width spaces using overlay

From: Kaushal Modi
Subject: Re: [O] Show presence of zero width spaces using overlay
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2015 04:07:52 +0000

Thanks for letting me know about org-entities. That is awesome. I now know how to escape various characters in general, but unfortunately this does not work within verbatim formatting (which makes sense).

Here's a minimum working example:

=====

* Escaping =equal= sign in verbatim formatting.
=a\equal{}b+c=
** Here's the same but using zero width spaces instead of /org entities/.
=a=b+c=

* Here I am trying to have double quotes in verbatim formatting.
=\quot{}This is inbetween double quotes\quot{}=.
** Here's the same but using zero width spaces instead of /org entities/.
=​"This is inbetween double quotes"​=.

* And here's to escapes asterisks
This is *bold*. But this is \ast{}not bold\ast{}.
This works!

=====

Here's what it looks like when exported: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10985/escape-chars.pdf

On Fri, Sep 18, 2015 at 9:48 PM Eric Abrahamsen <address@hidden> wrote:
Kaushal Modi <address@hidden> writes:

> My most common uses are escaping double quotes (") and equals (=)
> within org verbatim blocks (=VERBATIM=)
>
> Examples:
>
> 1. =var=[ZWS]val=
> 2. =[ZWS]"something"[ZWS]=
>
> Here [ZWS] is the 0x200b zero width space unicode char.
>
> I found [ZWS] useful as a generic escape char for org mode. There are
> few other cases where this has been useful, but I can't recall right
> now.
>
> In any case, what would be the recommended way to escape " and = in
> the above 2 examples?

Check out the variable `org-entities' for all the replaceable escape
codes. It's got quotes and equal!