Re: [O] Bug: Exporting smart single quotes in Org 8.3 seems broken [8.3.

From: Jonathan Oddie
Subject: Re: [O] Bug: Exporting smart single quotes in Org 8.3 seems broken [8.3.2 (8.3.2-elpa @ /Users/jonathan/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150929/)]
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2015 12:36:38 -0700

Hello Nicolas,

Thanks for your response.

>> However, I could customize `org-export-smart-quotes-alist' to export
>> outer quotes using single quote marks and inner quotes using double
>> quote marks.
>>
>> Is that about right?
>
> Correct. However, `org-export-smart-quotes-alist' aims to be
> typographically correct for all handled languages, so it is not
> customizable.

In British English, I believe standard typographical style uses single
quotation marks for normal quotations, and double quotation marks for inner
quotations.

I can obtain this behaviour with Org 8.3 by evaluating the following form in
*scratch*:

    (push
     '("en-GB"
       (opening-single-quote :utf-8 "“" :html "“" :latex "``" :texinfo
"``")
       (closing-single-quote :utf-8 "”" :html "”" :latex "''" :texinfo
"''")
       (opening-double-quote :utf-8 "‘" :html "‘" :latex "`" :texinfo "`")
       (closing-double-quote :utf-8 "’" :html "’" :latex "'" :texinfo "'")
       (apostrophe :utf-8 "’" :html "’"))
     org-export-smart-quotes-alist)

and then adding #+LANGUAGE: en-GB to my input org-mode file (sample input and
output below).

Would a patch to this effect be acceptable for a future Org release?  (I would
also be happy to contribute a documentation patch for the manual).

Thanks,

Jonathan

==========
test.org input:
==========

#+LANGUAGE: en-GB

This is "a quotation."

This is "a quotation with 'an inner quotation'".

This sentence doesn't contain a contraction.

This quotation "doesn't" contain a contraction.

This "nested quotation 'doesn't' contain a contraction."

This "nested quotation 'doesn't contain' a contraction."

UTF-8 output: