Re: [O] Latex strikethrough or cancel?

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] Latex strikethrough or cancel?
Date: Thu, 08 Oct 2015 03:31:38 -0400

Lawrence Bottorff <address@hidden> writes:

> I've got a fraction done this way in an org file:
>
> \[
>  \frac{1}{(2^3)(5)}
>  \]
>
> and I'd like to strike though or cancel the (5) part. The Latex method I've
> found says do it this way:

> \usepackage[makeroom]{cancel}
>
> \[
>  \frac{1}{(2^3)\cancel{(5)}}
>  \]
>
> But it's ignored and comes back verbatim. Of course +(5)+ doesn't work
> either, again, coming back verbatim with the pluses. How can I do this?

Not sure what you tried, but it all works fine here for PDF export. The
following latex file works:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage[makeroom]{cancel}

\begin{document}

\[
\frac{1}{(2^3)\cancel{(5)}}
\]

\end{document}

%%% Local Variables:
%%% mode: latex
%%% TeX-master: t
%%% End:

and the following org file works as well:

#+LATEX_HEADER: \usepackage[makeroom]{cancel}

* Some math
\[
\frac{1}{(2^3)\cancel{(5)}}
\]

You must mean HTML export - MathJax apparently does not know about
\cancel. There is an extension mechanism:

  https://docs.mathjax.org/en/latest/extension-writing.html

but that's as far as my knowledge extends. If you make it work, please
share.

Alternatively, you can use the (generally inferior) method of exporting
math as images - adding

works OK (assuming you have imagemagick installed of course).
There is also

if you have dvipng instead.

--
Nick