Re: [O] First steps in customizing org-mode

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: [O] First steps in customizing org-mode
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 2015 09:02:04 -0700

Giulio Petrucci <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello there,
>
> this is my first post here so let me introduce myself: my name is
> Giulio, or "petrux" for friends. I am italian. I am a PhD candidate at
> University of Trento and I've been working for many years as a
> developer before "going back to school".
> I use Emacs for almost everything. I love org-mode and I would like to
> start using it at an higher level.
> So, I would like to heavily customize it.
> I am experiencing some problems that come from MOSTLY my un-expertise
> in Lisp/EmacsLisp -- which I am actually trying to recover.
>
> Another problem that I am eperiencing is that it is very hard for me
> to find documentation about the org-mode function and variables.
> For this specific issue, is there any resource that shows you *what*
> you can do *and how* to do it?
>
> Thanks,
> Giulio
>
> P.S. here is an example of what I mean. I have learned from some
> examples that I can customize my agenda views acting on the
> org-agenda-custom-commands variable. If I google for that variable's
> name, I end up in some pages not telling me that much about that
> variable, how to customize it  and so on. So what I need is an
> exaustive list of "In org-mode, you can do this and this and this..."
> for beginner.

Google's not the place to look! For once. One of the main principles of
Emacs, and thus of Org mode, is that it is self-documenting. You'll get
a better sense of what `org-agenda-custom-commands' does, and how to use
it, by hitting "C-h v org-agenda-custom-commands" than you will from any
other source. There's even a clickable link to customize it.

If that's not enough, read the manual: "C-h i m Org Mode <RET> g Custom
Agenda Views <RET>".

Do that first, then ask here!

Eric