Re: [O] Some projects

From: Ista Zahn
Subject: Re: [O] Some projects
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2015 11:25:35 -0400

On Oct 27, 2015 11:09 AM, "Rasmus Pank Roulund" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Ista Zahn <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > I disagree. pandoc supports conversion to and from org-mode.
>
> I fail to see how this is relevant for the discussion at hand.
>
> > Making pandoc a requirement will enable other useful features (e.g.,
> > "Import documents from...", alternative pandoc-based exporters etc.
>
> AFAIK, nobody is working on this.

Not yet :-)

> > IMO pandoc is easy on Windows and OSX. It is easy on some Linux distros
> > but not all.
>
> > I use Arch LInux, where getting pandoc requires some work, but I think
> > that is an issue that the Linux distros need to work out.
>
> No it doesn't: pacman -S pandoc.

Good to know, thanks! That must be fairly recent.

> The relevant question here is whether we can accept to rely on pandoc for
> CSL support.  Any other feature is irrelevant.

That seems like a narrow way to look at it. Of course I agree that the topic of discussion is citations, but I don't see why the bigger picture of what the various options provide should be ignored.

I'll be happy to see improved citation support in org regardless of the implementation details. But I do think pandoc deserves a serious look, and I don't think the non-citation related possibilities it opens up are irrelevant.