[O] Capture and use export header numbering?

From: Lawrence Bottorff
Subject: [O] Capture and use export header numbering?
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2015 01:49:52 +0000

When an outline tree of headers

* top 1
** something
*** something
**** something
***** something
****** something

is exported, say, to html, org-mode produces a numerical outline as deep as the options are set

1. top
1.1. something
1.2. something
1.3. something
1.3.1. something
1.3.1.1. something
1.3.1.1.1. something
1.3.1.1.1.1. something

Now, is there any way to actually capture that outline numeration for use in the original buffer? I'm thinking I would like to make a sort of tags or custom_id  system based on these numbers.

* top :1:
** something :1.1:
** something :1.2:
** something :1.3:
*** something :1.3.1:
**** something :1.3.1.1:
***** something :1.3.1.1.1:
****** something :1.3.1.1.1.1:

It would also be nice if org-mode simply used these numbers in the original buffer instead of stars.

LB