Re: [O] Using orgstruct-mode (or just org-cycle) in emacs-lisp-mode

From: Jonas Bernoulli
Subject: Re: [O] Using orgstruct-mode (or just org-cycle) in emacs-lisp-mode
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2015 00:40:09 +0100

Aaron Ecay <address@hidden> writes:

> Thorsten Jolitz wrote the outshine library

I know. I used it for a while and contributed a few commits.  But I
pretty much only used the cycling functionality at the time and when
I discovered that `org-cycle' worked for that too, I stopped using
outshine.  It also felt a bit like re-inventing the wheel.

> Sadly it’s not actively maintained ATM, but I believe it still works
> fine,

That's a bit of an understatement; if I remember correctly Thorsten
stopped using Emacs.

> and it may be an alternative route towards the features you are
> looking for.

Well currently I am just using `org-cycle' + `outline-minor-mode', which
works well enough for now.  But eventually I would like to also start
using Org's navigational commands.  Unfortunately `orgstruct-mode' only
supports org-like headings (;; * heading\n;; ** subheadng) and not
standard Emacs headings (;;; heading\n;;;; subheading).  I hope someone
teaches `orgstruct-mode' to support the latter too.  Otherwise I will
probably give `outshine' another chance.

  But thanks for the tip :-)
  Jonas