Re: [O] MobileOrg

From: Peter Davis
Subject: Re: [O] MobileOrg
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2015 17:52:51 -0500

Ed Hirgelt <address@hidden> writes:

> On Sat, 21 Nov 2015 10:42:24 -0500
> Peter Davis <address@hidden> wrote:
>

>> On Fri, Nov 20, 2015, at 03:58 PM, dean wrote:
>> > On 11/21/15 00:14, Peter Davis wrote:
>> > Hi pd,

>> > Im fairly new to emacs and mobileorg, so im no expert here but...
>> > I believe Mobile org will be using your dropbox folder as its single
>> > point of contact.
>> > For example your workflow would be:
>> > - Create/edit notes/todo's on your phone
>> > - sync the app (which should save to dropbox)
>> > - Open emacs on your pc, issue org-mobile-pull
>> > - This should add your edits to your org files on your pc
>> >
>> > For the other direction:
>> > - Edit org files on your pc, issue org-mobile-push
>> > - sync on the app should import your edits into the app
>> >
>> > Im assuming you have a dropbox daemon taking care of the syncing in
>> > this process.
>> >
>> > This should be the same no matter how many pc's/emacs you use.
>> > Does this help answer your question?
>> >

>> Thanks, Dean.  Actually, I can't even sync mobileorg. When I try
>> (Pressing the sync button in the upper right corner), I get:
>>

>> *Error downloading checksums*
>>
>> An error was encountered while downloading checksums.dat from the
>> server. The file isn't required, but the error received was unusual.
>> The error was:
>>
>> Unexpected error
>>

>> I don't know what that's about, but I can't get past It.

Thank you, Ed, but this raises a number of questions for me:

> I ran into this same problem. The source of the problem appears to be
> that MobileOrg really, really wants to create the directory
> ~/Dropbox/Apps/MobileOrg.  My workaround was to:
>
> 1. Delete any and all MobileOrg directories in Dropbox so you don't get
> confused as to which one is really the right one.

The only MobileOrg directory is the one created by the app,
~/Dropbox/apps/MobileOrg

> 2. Bring up MobileOrg on your iPhone or iPad. Let it create the
> directory.

Ok, done, I guess.

> 3. Configure org on your desktop/laptop to export to
> ~/Dropbox/Apps/MobileOrg.

How? This doesn't seem to be any of the variables specified in the
instructions at http://mobileorg.ncogni.to/doc/getting-started/using-dropbox/

> 4. Now export from your desktop via org.

Export what? Each file I want to sync? If I just save a copy of an org
file to ~/Dropbox/Apps/MobileOrg, will that have the same effect?

> 5. You should now be able to sync on your mobile device.
>
> Note that is you want to sync to multiple mobile devices you need to
> repeat steps 1 and 2 for each device before you do anything from org on
> your desktop. Each of the MobileOrg instances will create the target
> directory when it initializes.

I'm confused. All my .org files are already in Dropbox, sync'ed across a
number of different machines, so the directory structures and contents
should be identical (once Dropbox syncs them.)

Thank you,
-pd