Re: [O] How can I wrap the subscript into a math environment in Org-mode

From: John Kitchin
Subject: Re: [O] How can I wrap the subscript into a math environment in Org-mode?
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2015 08:54:13 -0500

it sounds like you are looking for a way to conveniently entering
equations in LaTeX to me. This is seems like a case where you cannot
have it both ways, that is convenient subscripts in math and text that
are easy to tell the difference between, e.g. in H_{2}O you do not want
the letters in math mode, but in e^{x}=3 you do. It is hard to see how a
filter function would always do the right thing here.

The easiest thing is probably to make a function to make it simple to
add equations, e.g. this function will wrap a selected region in $$ (or
\(\) with a prefix arg) or insert those so you can type in the equation.
I bind it to super-4 which is pretty easy to use. you could also try
some kind of yasnippet approach.

(defun latex-math-region-or-point (&optional arg)
  (interactive "P")
  (let ((chars (if arg
                   '("\\(" . "\\)")
                 '("$" . "$"))))

    (if (region-active-p)
        (progn
          (goto-char (region-end))
          (insert (car chars))
          (goto-char (region-beginning))
          (insert (cdr chars)))
      (insert (concat  (car chars) (cdr chars)))
      (backward-char (length (cdr chars))))))

(define-key global-map (kbd "s-4") 'latex-math-region-or-point)

--
Professor John Kitchin
Doherty Hall A207F