Re: [O] Citation processing via Zotero + zotxt

From: Matt Lundin
Subject: Re: [O] Citation processing via Zotero + zotxt
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2015 08:25:24 -0600

Christian Wittern <address@hidden> writes:

> On 2015-12-03 8:27, Matt Lundin wrote:
>> Given these complexities, it seems that if we went the zotero route we
>> could end up with a fairly large installation chain (firefox, zotero,
>> zotxt, plugin for zotero). And this would require installing items from
>> multiple, heterogeneous sources.
> I guess it depends on where you come from.  For those who already maintain
> the bibliography in Zotero this is not much of an extra load.

Yes, I think this is the key point. For those of us who maintain bib
databases within emacs, importing in zotero is problematic (overhead,
potential of data loss, etc.).

>> As a GNU/Linux user, I would find installing zotero and all the add-ons
>> messier and more cumbersome than installing pandoc and/or node-js (were
>> we to use citeproc-js) from the command line.
> Maybe the best situation would be to support both the pandoc and zotero
> toolchain as backends and let the user decide what to use. If the result is
> in both cases org-formated citations, that should not make it too difficult,
> no?

That sounds right. Ideally, org-cite could support zotero *and* bibtex
users (i.e., gui and text based/command line) solutions.

Matt