Re: [O] Citation processing via Zotero + zotxt

From: John Kitchin
Subject: Re: [O] Citation processing via Zotero + zotxt
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2015 20:49:49 -0500

>> What do you think?
>
> My guess is that it is orders of magnitudes harder with author (year) and
> footnotes and whatnot.

footnotes... The only place I can see this is in org/odt export. In org
I can see it ok with the approach I described. For odt, I guess it would
be about the same, if you know the markup code to insert for a footnote.
Other formats are continuous pages, so the footnotes would end up at the
end of the document.

> But bibtex.el helps in some regards (indeed in an
> ancestor to this thread we discussed whether bibtex.el + reftex.el could
> be used).  Then comes the formatting and sorting of the bibliography, also
> when using different languages (Marcin talks about this) or types of
> publications (bibtex.el lists 27 when you switch the dialect to
> biblatex)...

CSL does not currently support multiple languages according to
http://citationstyles.org/styles/, although a fork of zotero is supposed
to support it. CSL also does not support composite citations, e.g. that
are common in chemistry journals. It doesn't support journal
abbreviations.

If a reference type is not listed in the CSL, it also will not be
supported by CSL I suppose.

I also suppose the CSL must be backend specific to output formats
appropriate to org, html, LaTeX, markdown, etc... for any particular
style.

The point is there is no single solution now, or ever that will easily
handle all reference databases, all reference types, to any output, in
arbitrary format/style.

We should not try to support all of these things. We could support a
small number of things that could be improved or increased in the
future.

> As a small example comes out of your example which has mistakes such as
> "17()".

this is from missing information in the bibtex file, and the single
format string in reftex. This kind of error is easy to fix. More
difficult changes are to the authors (e.g. initials, et al after 3
authors, etc...), journal abbreviations, and for different types of