Re: [O] footnote fontify causing massive slowdown

From: William Denton
Subject: Re: [O] footnote fontify causing massive slowdown
Date: Sat, 5 Dec 2015 19:58:00 -0500 (EST)

On 5 December 2015, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:

However, this report raises an interesting question about footnotes:
should we still support plain (e.g., "[1]") footnotes in Org documents?

The pattern is very common an regularly introduces false positives.
Also, IIRC, it was introduced for non-Org buffers (e.g., in Message mode
buffers), to provide some common features with "footnote.el" library.

I think we could remove this kind of footnotes, and yet preserve
`org-footnote-normalize' to change Org footnotes into these ones, for
foreign documents.

+1. The false positives are a common problem for me, and [fn:1] works cleanly and clearly.

Bill
--
William Denton ↔  Toronto, Canada ↔  https://www.miskatonic.org/