Re: [O] Bug: Exporting smart single quotes in Org 8.3 seems broken [8.3.

From: Rasmus
Subject: Re: [O] Bug: Exporting smart single quotes in Org 8.3 seems broken [8.3.2 (8.3.2-elpa @ /Users/jonathan/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150929/)]
Date: Sun, 06 Dec 2015 16:28:54 +0100

Hi,

lipidic man <address@hidden> writes:

> Just a note that British-English often uses quotes the same way as the US.
> It is only in books that we use single outer quotes.  Newspapers and the BBC
> often use double quotes.  Headlines however use single quotes, though here
> they could just be typed manually.
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_American_and_British_English#Quoting

Thanks for sharing this.

> It might be appropriate to have the quote setting to be a separate choice
> from the language, or have two options for en-GB (or we'd just use the US
> settings, but I am not sure if it affects more than the quotations).
> Also, how should the user handle things like 36"?

Funnily, for "en-us" and "en-gb", this is exported as ’36"’.  For "en",
it’s exported as "36``", which I guess is wrong.

> Use a quotation mark and it affects following quotes, use a double prime and
> LaTeX throws an error about unicode.

Quoting is difficult.  The choice for Danish is also highly subjective,
since there’s four different styles for quotations.

The questions is whether we need to allow to set this on a document level.
Or whether it is sufficient to document how users can change
org-export-smart-quotes-alist to their liking.  The latter should be
sufficient (assuming an author has one strictly preferred style), but
reproducibility of Org document speaks in favor of a document setting.

Rasmus

--
Sådan en god dansk lagereddike kan man slet ikke bruge mere