Re: [O] Problem with org-export--delete-comments

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] Problem with org-export--delete-comments
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2015 21:48:39 +0100

Hello,

Ethan Ligon <address@hidden> writes:

> I've long used the following construction for displayed equations in org
> #
> \[
>     u_i(c)=p_i\lambda
> \]
> #
> which (i) gives nice space for reading equations in the org-source, and
> (ii) nicely protects the display equation from (fill-paragraph) and
> friends.
>
> However, exporting with this construction *stopped* working after commit
> 53a4209; what happens now is that ox.el replaces the # with a blank line,
> breaking my single paragraph into  three.

I see only one paragraph above. Could you elaborate a bit?

> A related problem: one can no longer have commented lines in (at least
> some) property drawers.

This is not possible indeed, per property drawers syntax. Also, I'd
rather not introduce comments in property drawers (I don't think this
was ever officially supported anyway).

> It seems to me that the correct solution would have org-export--delete-
> comments actually delete a single line comment, not replace it with  \n, as
> was the case prior to  the  indicated commit.
>
> I gather that the change was introduced to deal with a bug observed by
> Samuel Wales (http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/102860; see also
> below).  His problem example involved incorrectly truncated footnotes
> (these are deemed to end after two blank lines).  But it seems to me that
> the correct solution to his example is to  delete *both* the  commented
> line and the  following blank line.

Been there, done that. Your solution is not correct in all cases. E.g.,
with the following document

  Paragra1
  # comment

  Paragraph2

removing both the comment and the blank line above gives you a single
paragraph, which doesn't match expectations.

> I regard this as a bug, but if it's not how do others deal with similar
> issues?

I have the feeling that there is no perfect solution here, and something
will break on one side or the other, anyway.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou