[O] org files and projects nested git repositories

From: Tyler Smith
Subject: [O] org files and projects nested git repositories
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2015 12:38:48 -0500

Hello list,

I'm struggling to incorporate project-specific org files into my global
org system. My file system looks something like this:

~
├── org
│   ├── todo.org
│   ├── reading.org
│   └── personal.org
└── research
    ├── project1
    │   ├── project1.org
    │   └── project1_reference.pdf
    └── project2
        ├── project2.org
        ├── data2
        │   ├── data2A.csv
        │   └── data2B.csv
        └── project2_reference.pdf

When I open a new project, it gets its own folder, containing supporting
documents, code, data, as well as an org file to manage todos and
timelines. This doesn't seem to work well with org: most tutorials
assume that all your planning files are found in one directory (e.g.,
~/org).

I wonder if it would be possible to maintain a global git repository
containing my entire directory tree, but only the org files; and have
all of these org files incorporated into (and new ones automatically
detected by) the agenda. At the same time, I need to maintain individual
git repositories for each project directory.

Does anyone here have experience with such a system? Or other advice on
how to keep many scattered org files in a single git repo and also
captured in the org agenda?

Thanks for your patience,

Tyler

--