Re: [O] Wrong type argument: characterp, 134217782 (??)

From: Charles C. Berry
Subject: Re: [O] Wrong type argument: characterp, 134217782 (??)
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2016 20:54:19 -0800

On Sun, 24 Jan 2016, address@hidden wrote:

Ok, so if I want to use this character '•' (a bullet mark) to trigger math
expression, what should I write in my .emacs file regarding the `cdlatex-math-
symbol-prefix' variable?

The bullet is not a *character* per se in emacs.

So you cannot do that.

The left quote (back tic) is used to trigger math symbol selection. You cannot easily change that, but you can remap a key as you did for M-9 and that will allow you to enter the selection menus. But you cannot use that character (M-9) to change levels. You can customize `cdlatex-math-symbol-prefix' to set a symbol for that purpose.

(Please help me out, I know nothing about how to write
elisp).

Elisp is not needed.

You need to use the customize interface. See

        (info "(emacs) Customization Groups")

Briefly, type

M-x customize RET

Then type `cdlatex-math' in the search box and click `search'.

Then click on the mark left of Cdlatex Math Symbol Prefix, delete the '`' and type in the character you want to traverse levels in the math symbo menus. Then change the state. `Save for Future Sessions' will modify your .emacs for you.

Since you mention this might be a bug with CDLaTeX, I'd like to add that
pressing TAB after '-' (dash) in an itemize environment doesn't put '\item'. I
believe it's an empty command.

It works fine for me. Be sure you have org-cdlatex-mode enabled and that you really are in a suitable environment. If you see messages like

        if: No open environment at point.
or
        if: No item defined for abc environment.

in the *Messages* buffer, you have erred.

HTH,

Chuck