[O] My sync setup for Org-mode files and more: unison, git (was: Require

From: Karl Voit
Subject: [O] My sync setup for Org-mode files and more: unison, git (was: Require feedback on an idea: move to a central server all my org file and edit from there?)
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2016 16:42:56 +0100

Hi!

* Xebar Saram <address@hidden> wrote:

> I keep syncing (via git,unison etc) all my org files all the time between 4
> machines and i just had enough :) im not (and probably never will be)
> disciplined enough to properly save and close all my 100's of buffer before
> i leave each machine each time and im always faced with conflict/merging
> hell..

I do have privacy concerns since my most precious data is all
managed via Org-mode.

My system with four machines (1x Win7, 3x Linux) is:

- home desktop:
  - gitwatch + auto-commit: committing all changes when I save a
    file (or a file gets synced)
  - unison over ssh: sync with my own root-server via 10min cron-job

- root server:
  - just providing data and sync services
  - no Emacs processing

- home notebook:
  - unison over ssh to root server (10min cron-job)

- work (Win7):
  - manual unison sync in the morning & evening

Since I close Emacs when I'm done working on a machine, I avoid
merge hell so far.

I never forget to sync because Org is very important to me and the
sync jobs don't just sync Org-mode files but my whole core data-set
of several hundreds megabytes. I tend to use this functionality also
for "high-frequency" backup of my most important data.

--
mail|git|SVN|photos|postings|SMS|phonecalls|RSS|CSV|XML to Org-mode:

https://github.com/novoid/extract_pdf_annotations_to_orgmode + more on github