Re: [O] Problem with threeparttable and sidewaystable, or: change reques

From: Rasmus
Subject: Re: [O] Problem with threeparttable and sidewaystable, or: change request for (org-latex-tables-centered) behaviour
Date: Sat, 06 Feb 2016 23:38:31 +0100

Hi,

Aaron Ecay <address@hidden> writes:

If the \centering would also be used for threeparttable or any environment, there would be no conflict at all (I think). I do not really understand why why the center environment is used in the first place: it apparently causes conflicts with several environments, but in effect seems to be no different from the center environment.

[ I assume you meant “no different from \centering” ] This is because in your example the table is exported as non-floating. \centering only works as intended inside a Latex group, which non-floating tables are not (necessarily) contained in. Perhaps we should use “{\centering” and “}” to center non-floating tables – I’m not enough of a latex guru to know the pros and cons. Do you have a reference that documents how the environment version causes problems, or are you speaking from experience?

I'd not like that. As I recall vertical spacing is often off when you do this.

threeparttable seems ill-suited for Org IMO. The syntax is just too specialized. E.g. tablenotes block also does not support itemize so you have to insert @@latex:\item @@.

Perhaps one of the alternative packages mentioned here¹ could be used. bidiftnxtra² might also be interesting (I haven’t tested). From the manual:

In standard LaTeX you can not use footnotes inside \chapter, \part, \section, \subsection, \subsection and any other section-like commands, \caption and tabular environment. bidi package provides bidiftnxtra package that solves the issue of footnote in standard LaTeX.

Rasmus

Footnotes: ¹ http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/1583/footnotes-in-tables ² http://ftp.snt.utwente.nl/pub/software/tex/macros/xetex/latex/bidi/bidi.pdf --
Warning: Everything saved will be lost