Re: [O] Precision in the spreadsheet

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: [O] Precision in the spreadsheet
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2016 19:39:17 +0100

Nick Dokos writes:
> Marcin Borkowski <address@hidden> writes:
>> is it at all possible to set different precision for display and
>> calculations in Org's spreadsheet?  I mean, things like $1+$2;%.2f (as
>> in the manual) mean (IIUC) that (1) Org should show 2 decimal figures
>> and (2) further calculations which use this value also use this
>> approximation.  Am I right?  If yes, is there a way to change this
>> behavior?  (I suspect not, but I wanted to make sure.)

I guess everything is somehow possible, but it either requires to store
the data with full precision somewhere or re-calculate the table with
full precision each time and only then apply the display rounding.  I've
had this idea for some time that tables should have a shadow that
determines formatting and other behaviour, there should probably be a
way to keep raw data in the shadow as well.  Meanwhile you could
experiment with putting the data in a table somewhere with full
precision and use Babel to display that data somewhere else the way you
want it.  If you wanted to be able to edit some data in that second
table it would be more bothersome.

> I believe that internally, calculations are done in 12-decimal place
> precision: the %.2f is for display only.

Sure, but as far as org-table is concerned, the data that is displayed
is the data that gets used:

* Table precision
|  1 | 0.00 |  0. |
|  2 | 0.00 |  0. |
|  3 | 0.00 |  0. |
|  4 | 0.00 |  0. |
|  5 | 0.01 | 10. |
|  6 | 0.01 | 10. |
|  7 | 0.01 | 10. |
|  8 | 0.01 | 10. |
|  9 | 0.01 | 10. |
| 10 | 0.01 | 10. |
| 11 | 0.01 | 10. |
| 12 | 0.01 | 10. |
| 13 | 0.01 | 10. |
| 14 | 0.01 | 10. |
| 15 | 0.01 | 10. |
#+TBLFM: $2=$1/1000;%.2f::$3=1000*$2

When calculating the third column, the formula to calculate the second
column doesn get re-evaluated to regain the precision lost while
displaying it.  Org also doesn't keep shadow data and computes the
display on the fly like most other spreadsheets do.

Regards,
Achim.