[O] Org-crypt encrypting PROPERTIES?

From: Daniel E. Doherty
Subject: [O] Org-crypt encrypting PROPERTIES?
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2016 11:10:40 -0600

I am trying to use org-crypt to encrypt certain headings, but when I invoke
org-crypt-entry on an entry with properties, it encrypts the properties as
well.  From the manual, "Org-crypt will encrypt the text of an entry, but not
the headline, or properties" it would appear that its not supposed to do that.

It causes a problem if the file is synced with org-caldav, which adds an UID
property if one does not exist.  To it, an encrypted entry always looks like
the property does not exist, so it always adds a new one, resulting in a
series of nested encryptions.  I can recover the original only by decrypting,
deleting the PROPERTIES drawer, and repeating until the clear text appears.

For example, with this entry:

* Test this with Crypt
:PROPERTIES:
:JUNK: Nothing
:END:

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod
tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam,
quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo
consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse
cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non
proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

After I run org-encrypt-entry on the headline, I get this:

* Test this with Crypt
-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Version: GnuPG v1
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=GXUz
-----END PGP MESSAGE-----

Notice that the property drawer got encrypted.  Am I reading the manual right,
that this should not happen?

Daniel E. Doherty
address@hidden