Re: [O] Bug: CALL misbehavior with :results verbatim [8.3.4 (8.3.4-5-gdc

From: Ross Donaldson
Subject: Re: [O] Bug: CALL misbehavior with :results verbatim [8.3.4 (8.3.4-5-gdc68d2-elpaplus @ /Users/rossdonaldson/.emacs.d/elpa/org-plus-contrib-20160229/)]
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2016 15:45:05 -0700

Nicolas --

Oh! Apologies: didn't mean to be short or unhelpful. I misunderstood you -- my
bad!

So: by default (at least, for me, in my configuration), Org automatically tries
to interpret the results of src blocks as Org values -- usually tables. For
example, evaluating `ls -la` in a shell src block returns, by default, Org's
best attempt to parse a table from the output of ls.

`:results verbatim` skips this, inserting the values as an example block. Vis:

#+BEGIN_SRC sh
ls -la | head
#+END_SRC

#+RESULTS:
| total       | 360 |               |       |       |     |    |       |
          |    |                                         |
| drwxr-xr-x@ |  17 | rossdonaldson | staff |   578 | Apr |  5 | 15:42 | .
          |    |                                         |
| lrwxr-xr-x  |   1 | rossdonaldson | staff |    39 | Apr |  5 | 15:42 |
.#cotidienne.org | -> | address@hidden |
| drwx------@ |  62 | rossdonaldson | staff |  2108 | Mar | 31 | 19:37 | ..
          |    |                                         |
| -rw-r--r--@ |   1 | rossdonaldson | staff |  5688 | Mar |  8 | 23:07 |
Rplots.pdf       |    |                                         |
| drwxr-xr-x@ |   3 | rossdonaldson | staff |   102 | Mar |  8 | 23:06 | auto
          |    |                                         |
| -rw-r--r--@ |   1 | rossdonaldson | staff |    39 | May | 12 |  2015 |
bookmarks.org    |    |                                         |
| -rw-r--r--@ |   1 | rossdonaldson | staff |    31 | Feb | 25 | 09:32 |
cotidienne.md    |    |                                         |
| -rw-r--r--@ |   1 | rossdonaldson | staff | 34538 | Apr |  5 | 15:33 |
cotidienne.org   |    |                                         |

#+BEGIN_SRC sh :results verbatim
ls -la | head
#+END_SRC

#+RESULTS:
#+begin_example
total 360
drwxr-xr-x@ 17 rossdonaldson  staff    578 Apr  5 15:42 .
lrwxr-xr-x   1 rossdonaldson  staff     39 Apr  5 15:42 .#cotidienne.org ->
address@hidden
drwx------@ 62 rossdonaldson  staff   2108 Mar 31 19:37 ..
-rw-r--r--@  1 rossdonaldson  staff   5688 Mar  8 23:07 Rplots.pdf
drwxr-xr-x@  3 rossdonaldson  staff    102 Mar  8 23:06 auto
-rw-r--r--@  1 rossdonaldson  staff     39 May 12  2015 bookmarks.org
-rw-r--r--@  1 rossdonaldson  staff     31 Feb 25 09:32 cotidienne.md
-rw-r--r--@  1 rossdonaldson  staff  34538 Apr  5 15:33 cotidienne.org
#+end_example

So. With call, I get values wrapped in quotes, often with a newline, if I use
`verbatim`.

--
Cheers,
Ross