[O] org-mime-org-buffer-htmlize can't find back-end

From: Peter Davis
Subject: [O] org-mime-org-buffer-htmlize can't find back-end
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2016 11:29:35 -0400

I used to be able to use org-buffer-org-mime-htmlize to send my org documents
as multipart/alternative html & text email. For some
reason, this is stopped working, and now displays

Unknown "nil" back-end: Aborting export

In the *Messages* buffer, I see

org-export-barf-if-invalid-backend: Unknown "nil" back-end: Aborting export

So how is the back-end supposed to be defined? (And why might it have broken?)
I haven't not made any related changes in a *long*
time.

Thank you.

-pd