Re: [O] keybinding for inserting simple item, simple plain list

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] keybinding for inserting simple item, simple plain list
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2016 13:10:27 -0400

Uwe Brauer <address@hidden> writes:

>    > org-meta-return (bound to M-RET by default) does this when you're in a
> plain
>    > list.  If you're not in a plain list, it inserts a heading.  So just put
> the
>    > point in a list and it should do what you want.
>
> I know this.
>

>    > If you want a key to both create a plain list when you're not in one and
> add
>    > another item when you are in one, that wouldn't be hard to do.
>
> Yeah, I know I have such a function, but I hoped org-mode already had
> that functionality.

I've never felt the need: once I'm in a list, I use M-<RET> to add
another item, but I always start the list with a dash and a space, typed
explicitly: nothing to go wrong, nothing to remember. BTW, that last
point is getting more important as I get older...

[Aside: I find it more annoying to have to remember to type the
requisite number of RETs at the *end* of the list in order to allow
M-RET to create a headline afterwards: I invariably end up creating a
list item that I have to go back and delete.]

YMMV of course: I'm not saying you shouldn't have such a function.
But I often wonder *why* people would want such a thing (and more often
than I would like to acknowledge, people give good, cogent reasons why
they do, which indicates to me that I often lack imagination.)

--
Nick