Re: [O] Show presence of zero width spaces using overlay

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] Show presence of zero width spaces using overlay
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2016 12:16:56 +0200

Hello,

timor <address@hidden> writes:

> Specification-wise, I cannot think of anything other than
>
> "Use <foo-mechanism> to prevent any special characters from formatting text."
>
> I guess one would have to define the list of characters which can be escaped.
> I also don't know if backslash is the correct way to go.

Actually, this is not really a specification of the problem, which is
quite tricky. The list of characters is but one part of it. Another part
is where escaping should be allowed. Note that allowing to escape
everywhere would be terrible, if only performance-wise. The last part is
about handling it at the parser level (there's also the fontification,
which doesn't use the parser ATM).

> Another thing I think is important is that <foo-mechanism> is
> semi-obvious to non-org-mode people. That's why I think using
> org-entities is not a valid workaround for my original problem.

That's all we have at the moment.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou