Re: [O] template for writing Emacs manuals in Org

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: [O] template for writing Emacs manuals in Org
Date: Tue, 17 May 2016 14:24:06 +0100

Eric Abrahamsen <address@hidden> writes:

> "Thomas S. Dye" <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Aloha Eric,
>>
>> Eric Abrahamsen writes:

> I remember where I originally saw this: it was a long thread on
> emacs.devel about moving documentation to HTML, which struck me as a
> terrible idea. I think Org was raised as a way of lowering the barrier
> to writing texinfo manuals for packages, so that we get the best of both
> worlds: write in Org, read in Info. I think it would be a great idea to
> facilitate that, if possible.

I still have a desire to take this forward, although lack the time to do
so on my own.

Having org generate texinfo that plugs directly into existing manuals
would be nice (as it would allow a piecemeal translation). Helping to
define a new HTML based representation (with adding semantics) that
would add the features of info to HTML (and the features of HTML to
info!) would be the ultimate. org-info.js is some of the way there
already.

Then we could use any kind of source (besides org) to generate the HTML,
and hopefully, have it all work together.

Phil