Re: [O] template for writing Emacs manuals in Org

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] template for writing Emacs manuals in Org
Date: Tue, 17 May 2016 14:56:33 -0400

"Thomas S. Dye" <address@hidden> writes:

> Aloha Nicolas,
>
> Nicolas Goaziou writes:

>>> IIRC, Bastien doesn't like this idea.
>>
>> Really? I admit I would be surprised. Do you recall why so, or do you
>> have any reference about it?
>
> That is all I remember from three years ago, but it's not really
> important.
>
> Looking ahead, the question is whether or not maintaining the
> documentation in Org, rather than texinfo, is a possibility, and, if so,
> what are the conditions under which that change will or will not happen?
>
> What are Bastien's expectations and preferences?

I believe the main obstacle is that the emacs policy requires a texinfo
manual for all its component parts. If that can be generated
automatically from the org document, then any objections probably
disappear. Of course, Bastien might object to the extra effort required
to do the conversion, but if the conversion is indeed completely
automatic (or, perhaps more likely, a volunteer can be found to take
care of the conversion and any problems that might arise), then he might
be amenable to it. But it would be an extra step required at release
time and would require some coordination.

--
Nick