Re: [O] exporting documents w/ babel results w/o evaluating babel blocks

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] exporting documents w/ babel results w/o evaluating babel blocks
Date: Sat, 21 May 2016 15:01:07 -0400

"Charles C. Berry" <address@hidden> writes:

> On Fri, 20 May 2016, Nick Dokos wrote:
>
>> Ken Mankoff <address@hidden> writes:
>>
> [deleted discussion of  `org-export-babel-evaluate' settings]
>

>> With ":exports results" and o-e-b-e set to nil, I get no evaluation on
>> export, but I get both code and results in the output.
>>
>>> There may have been a misunderstanding, but when I mentioned this in
>>> the bug report, I was told this is a "feature".
>>>
>>> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/107230/focus=107231
>>>

>> Not sure what exactly Chuck meant is a feature, but IIUC, the fact
>> that I get both code and results even if I specify ":exports results"
>> looks like a bug to me.
>>

> I meant this, as of commit ec615b1..., `org-export-babel-evaluate' set to
> `nil' keeps the exporter from running this line
>
>       (org-export-execute-babel-code)
>
> during exports. So, 'no Babel code is run' in the sense that the above
> line does not execute.
>
> src-blocks and inline-src-blocks are neither run nor removed, and no
> #+results:<etc> or {{{results()}}} are added, removed, or
> modified. Babel handles all that. The exporter merely formats those
> things once Babel is done.
>
> So the bug, if any, is in the docstring in failing to mention that
> everything that babel does is switched off.
>
> Since the behavior that the OP wanted can be had by setting babel
> header args, I don't see this as a bug even though the behavior
> changed in a way that surprised him.

I'm not sure I followed the whole discussion so maybe I'm missing
something. Setting o-e-b-e to nil does what it says it does: it does not
evaluate the babel block on export - that's as it should be AFAICT.

But that still leaves the problem that ":exports results" is not obeyed:
both code and results are exported - that's a bug, no?

--
Nick