Re: [O] [ANN] Remove XEmacs compatibility layer

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: Re: [O] [ANN] Remove XEmacs compatibility layer
Date: Thu, 26 May 2016 15:55:44 +0000

>>> "Nicolas" == Nicolas Goaziou <address@hidden> writes:

   > Hello,
   > Georgiy Tugai <address@hidden> writes:

   >> If I may ask, was there any particular reason for ditching XEmacs
   >> compatibility?

   > I didn't ditch XEmacs compatibility. Org hadn't compiled on XEmacs for
   > a long time already. Org was broken on XEmacs, and no one volunteered to
   > solve it. Barely anyone even reported it.

This is not entirely true. I got org 8.0.X to work with Xemacs 21.5.X
and Michael Sperber also got to work, I think an even  more recent version
of org mode, but I do not remember the details. It is true however that
a lot of  functionalities  were missing compared to GNU emacs 25.1 which I use
currently.

It also true that no Xemacs hacker really was willing to help out the
compatibility problems (so removing compatibility code is not a big
surprise and in fact  it has happened before with gnus, and as it is most
likely  to happen with auctex in the near future). But given the
email exchange on Xemacs beta in October last year about closing the
whole Xemacs project, this comes barely as a surprise.

Uwe Brauer