Re: [O] HTML Export of Links to Source Blocks seems broken

From: timor
Subject: Re: [O] HTML Export of Links to Source Blocks seems broken
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2016 12:46:26 +0200

Hello Nicolas,

>> the exported html code creates to <a> tags, like this:
>>
>> ------------------------------------
>> Link to <a href="#orgsrcblock1">1</a>
>> ------------------------------------
>>
>> and this:
>>
>> ------------------------------------
>> Link to <a href="#orgsrcblock2">1</a>
>> ------------------------------------
>>
>> Is that behavior desired?
>
> Yes, it is. Those are internals targets. Org handles them, well,
> internally.
Why is the link text set to "1" in both cases?

>> I would expect the link text to actually spell "test_fun" and
>> "another_test_fun" in this case, since those are the names of the
>> source blocks.
>
> This is a reasonable expectation only if you are a bit careful about the
> value of the NAME keyword. See `org-latex-prefer-user-labels' for more
> information.

Thanks for the pointer.  I tried to see the effect of that variable,
but I noticed that for latex export, a \ref{orgsrcblock1} tag is
created, although the listing in the exported latex code does not
provide a "target" to link to at all.  This is probably unrelated to
my original problem, but keeps me from understanding how the mechanism
around `org-latex-prefer-user-labels` works. (maybe related:
http://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/20947/how-to-reference-source-blocks-in-org-text)

>> As a workaround, is there anywhere in the exporter that I could hook
>> into to change the link text myself?
>
> There is no equivalent to `org-latex-prefer-user-labels' in HTML export
> back-end at the moment. Though, patches to add one are welcome since
> this is a quite frequent request.

I was more thinking along the lines of treating internal links to
named blocks in the same way that external links in HTML export are
treated:
For [[http://some/url]], the link text is simply set to the target,
the target being the external web page.
For [[some_named_block]] the link text should then also be the name of
the target, in that case the target being the source block.

I tried to debug what happens during html export, and traced the link
resolution to `org-html-link`, with the link type being "fuzzy".
Then, it correctly identifies the link target(via
`org-export-resolve-fuzzy-link`), but for some reason seems to do some
form of generic numbering for the link text.

I would probably add a case for (org-element-type destination) being
"src-block", and then use the :name property of the link destination
as link text. Does that route make sense?

Regards,
timor