Re: [O] patch for custom colored links in org-mode

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] patch for custom colored links in org-mode
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2016 16:46:21 +0200

Hello,

John Kitchin <address@hidden> writes:

> I tried this aproach to enable custom colored links in org-mode if an
> org-link-type face is defined. If no face is applied, then it just gets
> the default org-link face
>
> For example this will make all doi links red.
>
> (defface org-link-doi
>   `((t (:inherit org-link
>                  :foreground "red")))
>   "Color for doi links.")
>
> It seems to work pretty well for me. What do you think about making this
> a feature in org-mode?

This sounds like a good idea. Thank you for submitting it.

However, I'm not convinced by the UI, i.e., creating a face specifically
named to trigger the feature. As a user, it doesn't seem very natural to
me.

At first I thought it was better to extend `org-add-link-type' with
a FACE definition, but we wouldn't have caught default link types.

So, maybe it is more reasonable to create a new variable, e.g.,
`org-link-display-parameters', which would hold an alist between link
types and property lists (or something else), e.g.,

  ("doi" :face my-special-face :display full)
  ("special" :display path)

Note that :display is a way to include your other idea about link
visibility. Default value for :face and :display would be, respectively,
`org-link' and `description'.

Of course, we can also create two variables, one for the face, the other
for the visibility.

WDYT?

Regards,

--