Re: [O] patch for custom colored links in org-mode

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] patch for custom colored links in org-mode
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2016 14:51:54 +0200

Hello,

John Kitchin <address@hidden> writes:

> Indeed, I based this approach off a patch Rasmus posted some time ago for
> colored blocks ;)
>
> It is also similar to some other approaches in org-mode, e.g.
> the "org-%s-complete-link" functions.

This is yet another obscure part of Org, IMO. I really think we need to
normalize link customization, for an improved user experience.

> Would you consider expanding org-add-link-type like this to set those in
> the special variable?

I don't like much `org-add-link-type' because, it inherently only
operates on additional link types, so it is not sufficient to handle all
customization needs. I'd rather have a single way to control link
behaviour.

I think we could rename `org-link-display-parameters' into
`org-link-type-parameters' and control links from that location. More
explicitly, the value for a given link type (string) could be a plist
with the following properties
- :follow
- :export
- :face
- :display
- :completion
- :echo

The value would contain every link type, including internal ones. Its
value would probably be daunting at first (compared, e.g., with
a boolean) but it would give full control over links.

WDYT?

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou